Is banana pudding a Southern thing?
Banana pudding has a strong, genuine Southern identity that stretches back more than half a century. Earlier versions of the dessert go back even further. The real question is not whether it’s Southern, but when and how it got that way.
How can I make instant pudding taste better?
Mix in a Sweet Addition Sprinkle in chopped nuts, chocolate chips or baking spices like cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg. Don’t be surprised if folks go back for seconds! And you can always top with sprinkles, too. They make everything more fun!
How do you make Paula Deen’s banana pudding?
- Line the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish with one package of chessmen cookies. Top with sliced bananas.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add in pudding mix and milk.
- Fold in cool whip and spread over banana layer.
- Top with remaining package of chessmen cookies.
What state is banana pudding from?
Yet the dessert’s link to the American South is less clear, particularly given that banana pudding’s earliest recipes came from Massachusetts (where Good Housekeeping was based) and central Illinois.
Where did banana cream pudding originate from?
The first full recipe for banana pudding reportedly appeared in an issue of Good Housekeeping in 1888. The Post and Courier reports that the recipe featured custard and bananas alternated with layers of sponge cake and finished with whipped cream. Other variations of the dish began popping up around this time.
How do you make instant pudding creamier?
Use Evaporated Milk Replace the regular milk for a can of evaporated milk to make a creamier, more decadent pudding. Not only does it yield a luxurious texture, it dramatically improves the flavor of a pudding mix. For a tropical twist, reach for some canned coconut milk.
Can you use water instead of milk in instant pudding?
Can You Use Water Instead of Milk in Pudding? Yes! Pudding mix calls for milk to be used, but if you don’t have milk or any of the alternatives below, you can use water.
How do you make Paula Deen’s Not Yo Mama’s banana pudding?
- 1 (12-oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream.
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk.
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened.
- 2 cups milk.
- 1 (5-oz) box instant French vanilla pudding mix.
- 6 to 8 bananas, sliced.
- 2 bags chessmen cookies.
How much milk do you add to instant pudding?
Jello Instant Pudding- basic directions
- Pour 2 cups of cold milk into a medium bowl.
- Add Mix.
- Beat with a wire whisk or electric mixer for 2 minutes; then or immediately into dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.